FIRST UP, WHAT IS PYTHON?
Python is a high-level programming language developed in the late 1980s by Guido Van Rossum. Rossum indeed named it after the British comedy television show Monty Python’s Flying Circus! He modeled Python with concise syntax in such a way that it is easily understandable and eliminates unnecessary boilerplate code.
Python language has been around for a while and has developed wide popularity in recent years for its use in Artificial Intelligence. It now has a vibrant and lively community of students, professionals, researchers, and coding hobbyists. It is open-sourced and has a lot of libraries, packages, and resources built for many of its applications.
6 REASONS TO LEARN PYTHON
Now that you know what Python is, should you start learning Python right away? Is it really worth learning? Keep reading to know the reason behind all the hype!
● EASY TO LEARN:
Python is simple, readable, and concise, which makes it a beginner-friendly language. It is easy to learn and helps you focus on the task instead of the code. This means you can learn Python with ease even if you are totally new to programming!
● PYTHON CODE IS “SHORT AND SWEET”:
It saves you a lot of time from writing boilerplate code, unlike other languages such as Java. The syntax is “short and sweet” with just the required amount of code.
● GROWING DEMAND FOR PYTHON DEVS:
There has been a steady growth in the number of jobs requiring Python for a few years. This suggests that Python in your skillset could make you more hireable!
● CROSS-PLATFORM AND FREE:
Python is free to download and use. It is portable and can run on multiple operating systems like Windows, Linux, Unix, Mac, etc.
● SO MANY APPLICATIONS:
Python can be used for almost everything! Yes, from data science, web development, machine learning, scripting, game development to cybersecurity, scientific computing, finance, and trading – Python has got it all!
● PAVES YOUR WAY TO BIG COMPANIES:
Python is said to be great for building quick prototypes and solving problems. For a lot of purposes, many big companies, like Google, NASA, Intel, Amazon, etc., also use Python. These companies are always hiring people skilled in Python. So, learning this in-demand language could pave your way to working for these big names!
Well, it is no doubt that Python is the most loved programming language across all age groups, be it for people in the software industry or even for hobby coders! It is a trendy skill for people from all career paths!
How should you start learning Python?
If this is the question in your mind, you have already started to fall in love with Python. Technical learning should be always layered. Start with the easiest book like Think Python & end with a bible like Learning Python. In Python, there is always deep concepts of every topic. Read Think Python for high-level Python understanding & later get deeper using Learning Python. From my personal experience of teaching, you may follow the following steps to get yourself into the next stage.
1. Use a Python interpreter to learn fundamentals quickly. To learn about string utilities use help(str).
2. Explore other data structures like list,set & dict using help(list), help(dict) & help(set) respectively.
3. Learn about Python Object Model - Generally, this is given in the last chapters of books but this is why Python behaves the way it does.
4. Time to start using IDE like Sublime Text & write control flows using if, else, while, for.
5. Don't forget to learn about the 'in' operator.
6. Learn about defining various types of function definitions - very handy in learning object-oriented programming & frameworks like Django.
7. Plug into Object-Oriented Programming - define class, create objects, constructors, member functions, static variables, static functions, inheritance.
8. Go a mile further - Iterators, Generators, Lambda, Modules, Functional Programming - Map, Filter, Reduce
9. Please Note: This is just the beginning. Happy Journey with Python till you tie the knot with it.
INTERESTED IN LEARNING PYTHON?
We take hands-on Python training online and help you learn the concepts and build some cool projects! These training are expert-led, certified, and self-paced with instant query resolution and lifetime access. Join the upcoming batch of GICSEH today and start learning!
Join GICSEH today!!